Spend your day with a certified backcountry ski guide.What we do best!
We specialize in single day trips around Golden, Revelstoke, Lake Louise, Banff & Yoho National Parks.
Join us for an elevated and unforgettable experience in some of the best ski touring terrain on the planet!
We will show you what makes these mountains so special
What We Do Best!
AAA Backcountry Guides is situated in the middle of the best ski touring Mountains on the planet. The Columbia Mountains have a combination of terrain, snow pack, snow quality and vastness that provide endless touring possibilities. We offer world class guided tours to Golden, Revelstoke, and Lake Louise Sidecountry utilizing the lift access and great terrain close to these towns. We also frequent the famous Rogers Pass in Glacier National Park and the Canadian Rocky Mountain Parks.
With so many options we have the perfect tour for you and your group no matter what level of experience or fitness you have.
We can customize your next adventure or take you on one of our favourite tours to showcase why we love it here and what makes these places so special.
- Lift Access touring in the Golden, Revelstoke and Lake Louise sidecountry
- Guided Backcountry to Rogers Pass
- Trips to Banff, Yoho and Kootenay National Parks
- Custom access trips
- Custom adventures catered to your goals and ability levels
Day Trip Details
Expect a Logistics package after paying for your tour including meeting place, guide info and policies.
Here is an example of where we will meet.
We will meet the morning of your tour at either:
- La Baguette in Revelstoke
- Jitas Cafe Golden
- Laggans Cafe Lake Louise
We will do waivers, look over equipment and talk about the day. We usually use the ski lift to access sidecountry terrain the first day so as to spend more time in the alpine and make skiing more accessible.
Suitable for All Skill Levels
You need to be an Intermediate to Expert skier in bounds before taking it to the Backcountry. If you’re a beginner, have a look at our Intro to Ski Touring course. There are always a variety of conditions and terrain in any Backcountry day and we must be strong enough to travel and ski through.
There is no minimum fitness level as we want to make it fun and can accommodate the elite athlete to the weekend warrior fresh from a desk job.
We always try to make it as easy as possible for beginners to maximize fun and learning and minimize stress.
- Backcountry Skis and skins, Splitboard and skins
- Poles and 30 litre pack
- Avalanche Transceiver, Shovel, Probe
- Ski Crampons in the Rockies
- Ski strap
We can arrange for you to rent some of this equipment if needed.
- Base Layers
- Wool Touring Socks
- Neck Warmer
- Wool Hat/Beanie
- Touring Gloves ( Light ) and Ski Gloves ( Heavy )
- Warm “Puffy” Jacket Down is good but we recommend Synthetic
- Water Proof Jacket and Pants
- Wind proof soft shell jacket
- Sun Hat
- Hut Shoes ( light weight booties )
Regular Additional Touring Pack Contents
- Small Personal Repair Kit ( optional )
- First Aid Kit ( optional )
- Camera ( optional )
The mountains in winter can be pleasant and comfortable or harsh and inhospitable and everything in between. We generally do our intro days close to resorts with amenities or in Backcountry locations with easy access in and out to make it easier. We require everyone to show up with appropriate gear and clothing though as conditions can change fast and its important to stay warm and prepared.
Conditions can range from -15°C to plus 2°C, Sunny and clear to snowing hard and low light. Locations can be in open alpine to tree skiing weather dependent.
We will meet the morning of at a local cafe to go over equipment, talk about conditions and sign waivers.
For single day courses and refreshers we will drive to outdoor training location and start tours from there.
- Full day in the mountains ski touring, reviewing systems and practicing techniques
- Return to cars for mid to late afternoon tail gate chat and
- Lift Tickets (if required)
- Standard Backcountry Gear Rental