This is a “Bucket List” adventure to the Japanese Alps of Hakuba.Japow!
Famous for its copious amounts of deep, dry powder, tantalizing food and friendly local hosts - the Hakuba Valley has it all.
The Hakuba Valley has it all for the adventure travel ski touring enthusiast and we take it one step further by partnering with a few of the best Japanese run Ryokan (lodges).
We have an amazing itinerary of locations picked out for touring, utilizing the many lift accessed Backcountry areas that have iconic tree skiing, deep powder and alpine runs. We will use our multi person van to get to the best location based on the forecast for each day with most drives taking 15 min at most.
The Ryokan Experience is paramount to the AAA Hakuba Trip
A very large detail to us is our local partners that complete the ultimate experience by staying in their Ryokans. We avoid the crowds and line ups at the busy restaraunts for our own in house chefs and amazing food. At the end of the day when we return to the lodge relax with a cold beer and experience the onsen ( hot tub ) in house.
Guiding, Lodging, Transport, Lift Passes, Dinner and Breakfast Included.
Japan Trip Details
- We will help you with all you questions and planning requirements.
- Once you arrive at Narita Airport you can drop you bags at the bag delivery station and carry on with your small luggage.
- We recommend taking a night or two in Tokyo when you arrive to rest up and adjust to the time change, explore and experience this amazing city.
- From Tokyo you take a Shinkansen ( Bullet Train ) to Nagano 1.5 hrs
- From Nagano its a short one hour bus ride to Hakuba where we will pick you up in our Van and take you to the Ryokan where your luggage and room await.
- 7 Days of Guiding and 8 nights of accommodation included
- On the last day of your trip we will take you to the bus station to get on the luxury bus that will take you directly to Narita Airport
- This trip is for Intermediate to Expert skiers.
- You must be able to ski DEEP powder.
- We will average 500m – 2000m of Backcountry skiing each day
- It will be possible to take a day off at anytime if need be
- No prior avalanche training required
- Backcountry Skis and skins, Splitboard and skins
- Poles and 30 litre pack
- Avalanche Transceiver, Shovel, Probe
- Ski Crampons in the Rockies
- Ski strap
- Base Layers
- Wool Touring Socks
- Neck Warmer
- Wool Hat/Beanie
- Touring Gloves ( Light ) and Ski Gloves ( Heavy )
- Warm “Puffy” Jacket Down is good but we recommend Synthetic
- Water Proof Jacket and Pants
- Wind proof soft shell jacket
- Sun Hat
- Hut Shoes ( light weight booties )
Regular Additional Touring Pack Contents
- Small Personal Repair Kit ( optional )
- First Aid Kit ( optional )
- Camera ( optional )
- The Hakuba Valley is not really that high when compared to other mountain ranges but for a short time each winter it gets cold and dumps copious amounts of powder over and over again.
- The region is considered a maritime snow pack but the powder resembles more of a dry interior BC snow.
- It can also get clear enough for us to go into the alpine and experience the open terrain.
- Average temperatures range between -2 and -12
- Although it is not uncommon to experience warmer temps but these are soon covered up by cold snow again.
- Its not uncommon to see between 30-50 cm overnight on your visit
Fly into Narita, Tokyo or airport of your choosing.
- Arrive in Hakuba for our prearranged arrival day.
- Get picked up and taken to our Ryokan. If everyone arrives on time we can do an Avalanche refresher training the first afternoon
- Settle into our rooms and have dinner at 6:30
- Get up and packed ready to go before breakfast
- 7:30 Breakfast
- 9:00 Try to leave the Ryokan for our destination of the day
- Tour, shred and laugh a lot. Good times
- 4:30 Back at the Van ( what ever makes sense )
- Time to chill and use the Onsen before dinner
- 6:30 Dinner. Its usually a multi course meal and great time
- Chill out go to bed and repeat
- Check out of the lodge
- Head to the Bus station for 10:00
- Direct Bus to Narita
- Flights to and from Japan
- Transfers to Hakuba by train or bus on either end of your trip
- Lunches. We will be buying these most evenings for the next day. It is an experience in itself