It's hugely important to have the right equipment and training when ski touring on and around Glaciers.Learn From A.C.M.G. Certified Guides
Glaciated Peaks, Glaciers and Icefields abound in Western Canada and the Mountains surrounding Golden, Revelstoke and Banff.
Many of the classic tours, huts and parks have healthy amounts of glaciation. For this reason it’s important to have the right equipment and training when ski touring on and around these Glaciers.
Get The Right Training Here!
Glacier travel techniques and knowledge are essential to the safety of you and your group.
Standard Course Details:
- Proper use of ropes/knots and technical gear
- Group management
- White out navigation and the use of tools such as map/compass and GPS
- Understanding the geography of glaciers and their features
- Crevasse rescue systems; when and how to employ the different types
- 2 field days
- Proper travel techniques on glaciers and rope skills
We can also customize your training as follows:
- Single day training close to town to maximize crevasse rescue system training
- Field sessions on glaciers with a general how to course abbreviated
- Thorough multi day training
- Hut based immersion with multiple days spent traveling and skiing
Contact us for more info or to customize your own training.
Expect a Logistics package after paying for your tour including meeting place, guide info and policies.
Here is an example of where we will meet.
We will meet the morning of your tour at either:
- Revelstoke Resort Base
- Rogers Pass Info Center
- Kicking Horse Mountain Resort Base Area
- Laggans Cafe Lake Louise
We will do waivers, look over equipment and talk about the day. We usually use the ski lift to access sidecountry terrain the first day so as to spend more time in the alpine and make skiing more accessible.
Not for beginners to ski touring.
If you have some experience touring and are looking to get on glaciers than this for you.
Intermediate to advanced skiers and riders.
Good physical fitness.
- Backcountry Skis and skins, Splitboard and skins *
- Poles and 30 litre pack *
- Avalanche Transceiver, Shovel, Probe *
- Ski Crampons *
- Boot Crampons *
- Ski strap
- Glacier Travel & Crevasse Rescue Kit (3 prussics @ 5m, 4 locking biners, 2 non-locking biners, double length sling, belay device, light ice screw, pulley )
We can arrange for you to borrow some of this equipment if needed.
- Base Layers
- Wool Touring Socks
- Neck Warmer
- Wool Hat/Benie
- Touring Gloves( Light ) and Ski Gloves ( Heavy )
- Warm “Puffy” Jacket Down is good but we recommend Synthetic
- Water Proof Jacket and Pants
- Wind proof soft shell jacket
- Sun Hat
- Hut Shoes ( light weight booties )
Regular Additional Touring Pack Contents
- Small Personal Repair Kit ( optional )
- First Aid Kit ( optional )
- Camera ( optional )
* If you don’t have any of these things and need rentals, please try one of these partner shops:
Glaciers tend to be high up and exposed places in the mountains. We will choose locations that are conducive to learning and provide a variety of glaciated terrain.
Expect be standing around a fair bit while we go over and practice many techniques and systems. We will be on the edge of glaciers and close to crevasses for the benefit of training and skill development.
- Meet at Suitable Field Location for full day of Learning
- Learn and Practice Knots, Rope Handling and Rescue Systems
- All Components of Crevasse Rescue
- Glacier Tour
- Meet at Pre determined Location
- Learn about Glacier Travel and terrain management
- Rope use and Techniques
- Roped Crevasse Rescue systems
- Skiing on Glaciers
- Lift Tickets
- Standard Backcountry Gear Rental